Friday, April 1, 2011

WHO AM I!!!

(This was a speech given by JoAnn Feb. 18, 2009)

WHO AM I!!! It has been a long time since I asked myself that question as the answer seems to change with the wind. In reflection, I must admit to being a variety of types – some good and some that need improvement.

I discovered some time ago that I have a Masters Degree entitled W.B. with a minor in a Capital P.

These may not be familiar to you, but they have directed my entire life and continue to choose the paths that I take. The title of my Masters – or the W.B. – reminds me that I am an eternal, optimistic “Wanna Be”. It might not be very glamorous or carry with it the title of CEO of any company, but it has been the catalyst for many projects and goals. It has launched or actually pushed me into situations that I never anticipated or planned or even wanted.

On the down side, I have fumbled through many events that have taken me no where and left me wondering how on earth I ever started that series of my life. On the other hand, it has opened new vistas that I never would have adventured into on my own.

I started out many years ago as a very shy middle child. Middle children are peace makers. They aren’t the “first” at anything and they aren’t the baby” of the family; therefore they are just there. I learned at a very early age that sitting around, making small talk, being the belle of the ball wasn’t my talent and if I wanted to be comfortable in social settings, I had to have a purpose.

Because of that, I volunteered for any position needed – reception committee, decoration group, clean-up, etc. It has served me well because I can always find something to do and feel very comfortable doing it.

Another surprise in my life was the aptitude tests that we all took about the 7th grade. With each one, I scored very high in sales and chemistry – the two situations I hated most. To this day, I still hate sales and have never gotten involved in chemistry, but have found that each job I have had has actually involved sales to some degree – whether it was sales support making others look good, charting goals, or it was just selling my thoughts and ideas on life to those in need.

The chemistry thing never kicked in, but I discovered that chemistry is all around us – whether in cooking or cleaning or gardening or decorating OR JUST PLAIN LIFE. They all require certain elements that when put together in the right combinations make beautiful successes, but if the ingredients and proportions are wrong, you can certainly make a mess.

My other talent that I have minored in is the Big “P” degree – or procrastination. This is usually not a good trait, but if used to perfection it can guide you through many situations that have proved to be beneficial, but not as good as they should have been. It is one of the heavy burdens I continue to carry but will hopefully, someday overcome.

This brings me to where I am now. Harold and I started out many years ago with no special goals and career paths. In those days you graduated from college and got a job. If it turned into a successful career – good for you. We planned our wedding with no thought of how we would survive – we just knew we would. Since those beginning days of meeting in school in Oregon, of settling down in Antioch, of moving to North Carolina when he was drafted into the Army, of returning back to Antioch with 2 baby girls. Then we added the two boys and proceeded to make a life.

The family has grown now with the addition of 2 sons-in-law and 2 daughters-in-law and the addition of 13 grandchildren. I am happy to say they are all gainfully employed or in school, they have done some wonderful things – all or most of which have been legal.

These days I am still working on my Wanna Be list.

I love to write. I want to be a great speaker some day. I have no illusions of having my picture on Time Magazine as speaker of the year, but I want to say things that will give encouragement to those that need encouraging. I want to give hope to those that need hope.

I want to leave others with a smile on their face and make them laugh – either at me or with me.

I want to share my love of family with those that have no family. I want to open minds to ideas and let others see how important friends are, how much I depend on my relationship with my God and how wonderful our world really is if we will just look for the Rainbow instead of the clouds.


I have realized that winning a race doesn’t necessarily make you a Winner any more than losing a race makes you a Loser.

I saw a study the other day that I am anxious to pour through its pages. The title was just simply “Finish Strong”.

I’m not sure what the study will reveal, but it seems we put so much emphasis on Starting Right with all the right connections and education and finances that we miss the journey. I think we should work toward the end so when we get there, it will be said of us, that we did indeed FINISH STRONG!!!!!
Jo Ann Juhala - Feb. 18, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment